Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Unforgotten Soldier

Guess what everyone???
IT'S STORY TIME! lol... I wrote this during a class at some point when I was really bored.
Please excuse the punctuation :)
<3 Kelsey

The Unforgotten Soldier

Carrie stood at the train station waiting and hoping. A little apart from her a large group was forming:
sweethearts, mothers and little brothers all waiting for loved ones to step off the train. A few shot brief pitying glances toward the lonely girl,
but most did not. It was easier to forget they thought, no one wanted to see her grief on such a happy day.
A train whistle was heard faintly in the distance, and excitement swept through the crowd.
Still the girl stood all alone staring into the distance.
The day was clear and the sun shined brightly, almost mocking her sadness.
The second whistle of the train brought back memmories, of another clear sunny day, another dreaded train whistle, four years ago.

He wrapped his arms tight around her and kissed her, there on the platform in front of everyone.
A moment later they pulled apart "Thomas" she said sounding shocked "what on earth will people think?"Secretly she didn't mind, secretly she was bursting with pride for her brown haired soldier. "Just what they should" he replied with an impudent grin. Then softer "I love you Carrie."
"I love you too" she said choking back tears.
"Don't you forget that lassie" he said with mock fierceness.
"I won't" she promised as the tears began to slip down her face.
He gently wiped them away and smiled down at her.
"I'll think of you every day" he whispered in her ear as the whistle sounded again.
"And I of you" she began, but the train doors began to shut.
Thomas pulled her close for one last hug "It's time Carrie" he said softly.
She closed her eyes and ran her fingers through his curly brown hair. "Go" she said with a gentle shove.
He squeezed her hand and they locked eyes as the train started to pull away. He released her hand and ran for the departing train.
He jumped and Carries heart almost stopped, but he managed to pull himself up and wave cheekily.
Carrie let out a breath she'd unconciously been holding and waved back.
"Be careful Thomas" she said softly.
She watched the train as it pulled away but quickly turned aside before it was out of sight, knowing it was bad luck to watch some one leave until they were out of sight. With a prayer in her heart she began the weary walk home.

The groaning sigh of the train pulling up at the platform brought her back to the present.
She straightened and nervously brushed her skirt off as the train doors banged open.
The soldiers rolled off the train in waves, running to family and friends they hadn't seen in years.
Still no soldier ran to Carrie.
Still she stood patiently waiting, as other sweethearts were hugged and spun around.
The crowd thinned as people returned to their homes. A few more straggled wearily off the train, these could not run.
They bore the wounds and scars of the past few years. Some missed an arm, a leg, or an eye, but all were greatful to be returning home at all.
A few nurses pushed stretchers off the train, but still there was no Thomas. A couple walked by Carrie, the soldier had curly brown hair... just like Thomas. His arm was wrapped around a girl's shoulder and she gazed adoringly up at him, smiling.
We used to look like that Carrie thought a little sadly.
The last few soldiers stood on the platform scanning the dwindling crowd for their loved ones.
Carrie watched them as one by one their faces lit up with smiles when they spotted a familiar face.
Then they'd hurry away to homes and people they'd sorely missed.
Still she waited patiently.
The train whistled again and the doors began to shut, but still she waited.
The train began to pull away, but Carrie still waited.
The train clacked out of sight. Carrie still waited.
Some one tapped her on the shoulder and her heart soared. She spun around joyfully... but it was only the soldier with the curly brown hair.
His sweetheart stood back a little waiting.
"Are you Carrie Thompson?" he asked hesitantly. Mutely she nodded.
"I have something for you" he said drawing a small tissue paper packet from his pocket and handing it to her.
She opened it slowly. A lone tear escaped when she saw its contents, a small gold heart shaped locket.
The necklace she'd given to Thomas the day he'd left, hers since childhood. She'd liked to think of him, looking at it, thinking of her.
"Is he?" she managed to choke out. The soldier shrugged.
"I don't know, no one does. But I found it in the trenches and wanted to bring it back to you."
The tears were now flowing freely down her pale face.
"Thank you" she said slowly. The soldier just nodded.
"He was brave, your Thomas. He talked of you often and wanted to make it back to you more than anything. He was a fine man Carrie, he'll be sorely missed." Carrie could only nod her head in reply. With a last sympathetic glance over his shoulder he left.
He embraced the girl and they walked away hand in hand. Someday Thomas and I will look like that again she thought.

But for now there was tomorrow's train. For now she'd be content on that platform.. waiting and watching, hoping and praying.
There she will stand till she is old and grey, waiting for a boy who will never come home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelsey!!

Wow -- that is an awesome story!! You are a great writer. I felt myself standing on that platform and wishing along with Carrie for her soldier to appear. Your descriptive phrasing brings it all to life. I really think you should publish. I love the pics on your Mom's blog. You have grown up so since I've seen you last. Hopefully we can visit soon!
LOL
Grandma Carolyn

Kelsey said...

Thanks Grandma!!!
I hope so too! I miss you lots!
<3 Kelsey

Siam Tonsing said...

Well, your story is nice and interesting. I love it and also you are a good writer. Keep going. I wish you could give me your story someday so that i could make it in a film. Good luck!